Well, it has been a little while! I planned on posting a bit over the winter break, but I really needed a break from everything myself. Luckily, I’m refreshed and ready to continue on in 2021! So let’s start with my top 5 most anticipated reads of the year.
1. She Drives Me Crazy by Kelly Quindlen – This book features one of my favourite tropes ever: fake dating! It’s about a girl who is trying to get back at her toxic ex-girlfriend with her arch nemesis. Of course, they’re going to end up falling for each other, which is so, so exciting! The book also involves high school sports teams and cheerleading, something that is usually reserved for heterosexual relationships, so it’s exciting to see this in a queer girl story.
2. The Ghosts We Keep by Mason Deaver – A book about grieving the loss of a brother and the way friendships can fall apart, this depicts the way we live and process our lives after losing someone important. It also features a relationship between the main character and his brother’s best friend as they share their grief. This book gives me major Adam Silvera vibes, who is one of my favourite authors ever, and I’ve only heard amazing things about Mason Deaver, too.
3. One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston – From the author of Red, White, & Royal Blue, one of my favourite books I read last year, this book follows our main character August as she moves to New York to try and live out her dream life. It doesn’t go as expected, but one day she meets a girl on the train and falls for her. I am so, so excited for this book, and can’t wait for another romance by McQuiston!
4. The Other Black Girl by Zakiya Dalila Harris – Described as Get Out meets The Devil Wears Prada—two of my favourite movies—this book immediately made it onto my TBR as fast as I could click the “Want To Read” button. It follows our main character Nella Rogers, an editorial assistant at Wagner Books. However, things start to get weird when she finally isn’t the only Black person employee. Despite being thrilled to have another Black person, her new co-worker Hazel, working next to her, Hazel starts leaving her hostile notes, telling her to quit her job. This book is a thriller, which I’m so excited for as it’s a genre I love in film but don’t read enough of.
5. Here’s To Us by Becky Albertalli & Adam Silvera – A sequel to their first novel together, What If It’s Us, this book follows Ben and Arthur from the previous book, and how they end up reconnecting a couple years after they went bittersweet, separate ways at the end of the first book. We don’t even have a publication date for this yet, besides sometime this year, but I am so excited for this book because I just knew there had to be a sequel. I knew they couldn’t leave the characters off like that, even if it was a good ending for the story. I’m so excited to read this as soon as it comes out!
So those are my top 5 anticipated reads of 2021! Let me know in the comments what you’re looking forward to reading this year, and if we have any overlapping anticipated reads.